Last summer we partnered with a company to run the Who Freaking Cares Writing Contest for Poetic Rejects. It was a load of fun with over 250 submissions!
Sadly, after publication of the finalists & winners, the company we partnered with shut down and these writers lost their published works.
As writers, we know how much that sucks. It is a problem within the writing community we refuse to be a part of.
So, we're republishing these works on our website & created a zine out of the contest finalists' poems called, "A Reject of Ostriches."
It's free. Download it, read it, appreciate these beautiful poets' works and let them know.
And yes! This means we will be running this contest again later this year. This time, we'll be publishing everything ourselves—and probably choosing an equally random way to send rejections.
Find individual poems here:
- 1st place: "Therapy Without Insurance" by Angel Rosen
- 2nd place: "good men are like lobsters" by Sophia McGregor
- Honorable Mention: "My Uterus: The Bloody Comedy" by Yessmin Arevalo
- Honorable Mention: "reaching for the moon" by Ivan Zhao
- "Midnight Waltz" by Saturn Browne
- "HELD." by Melissa Boles
- "Kim Has Developed an Allergy to Lilies" by Ana Reisens
- "Like Stendhal Syndrome, But Less" by Robert Hamilton
- "Bargain Bin Lover" by Katie Rose Yen
- "Black Holes" by Katelyn Caulder
- "A Digital Obituary" by M.A. Dubbs
- "Tangled Coils" by Katie Holtmeyer
- "Nonbinary Finery" by Ollie Shane